The CIS Division provides hosting services for physical servers in the central server farm and virtual hosting services in designated clusters.
Hosting physical servers
The service is intended for customers who wish to place a faculty server in the servers hall of the CIS division and enjoy the maintenance services of the division.
Advantages of hosting servers:
- Utilizing infrastructure on a dedicated site
- Total professional responsibility
- Consulting and guidance on software and hardware issues throughout the life of the system
Types of infrastructure in the computing hall:
- Protected space with floating floor
- Air conditioning and climate control
- A multi-sensor control system
- Standard 19" equipment bases
- Electrical system including:
- Systems of protection from falls and short-term breaks
- System on uninterruptible power supply
- Emergency generator
- Fast communication infrastructure, copper binding and optics
- Orion advanced monitoring systems
- Integrated Management Environment DCIM
Hosting service specifications for a physical server:
- Position of standard equipment 19" width and xU height with accessories.
- Network interface at 1Gbps rate
- Network interface at 10Gbps rate
- Console management interface
- 220 volt power outlets from two separate UPS feeds according to nominal power according to manufacturer's data.
Terms of accommodation
- The hardware of the hosted server must be the responsibility of the manufacturer or service provider.
In case the customer decides not to insure the equipment, repairing it if necessary will be his sole responsibility.
- The customer is responsible for backing up the information on the server, a backup service can be purchased from the CIS Division
- Security rules for remote access will be implemented as customary in the CIS Division and in accordance with the Technion's security policy.
- Entrance to the servers hall is a controlled entry. Every visit to the site requires coordination, both of the server owners and the supplier and/or external service providers.
- The customer is responsible for the evacuation of the empty packaging of the equipment
Cost of service:
The hosting configuration can be customized as needed based on the
services price list. The cost of physical hosting is based on three components:
- Server height in U units
- Communication needs measured in the number and type of interfaces
- Power is needed
Register for the service
Authorized Research Budgets manager: In the SAP portal, click on "Software and Services Purchase".
For payment from a Technion budget: Contact the faculty engineer or David (firstname.lastname@example.org) at the CIS Division.
Reception of equipment for the hosting service
- After completion of administrative processes and receipt of confirmation of registration for service from the secretariat of the CIS Division, please contact the facility manager at telephone 2184 for the reception of the server
- At the end of the reception of the server, a joint inspection of the customer with the department's personnel will be conducted to verify the proper operation of the server and the connection to it.
For technical details regarding the service, please contact email@example.com.
Hosting virtual servers
The CIS Division provides virtual server hosting services on the virtualization infrastructure of VMWare. The service is intended for customers interested in a departmental/faculty server operating under one of the supported operating systems.
Service specification for virtual servers:
- Infrastructure with high availability (server cluster)
- Connectivity to NetApp storage
- Advanced communications infrastructure with redundancy
- Support for Windows Server and CentOS Linux operating systems
- Local daily backup with recovery option up to 30 days back according to the backup policy
- Remote site backup option at additional charge
- Monitoring of SolarWinds software
- Ability to access servers on RDP or SSH (subject to information security practices)
Cost of service:
The basic cost of the service is 1200 NIS for a computer with 4GB memory and 2 vCPU
A server with Windows OS is with an initial disk of 60 GB and a server with CentOS is with an initial disk size of 40GB with a disk cost of 2 GB in NIS. The service includes local backup using the VEEAM software according to the backup policy.
You can upgrade the basic configuration and add memory/processors/disk space as needed based on the services price list.
Register for the service
At https://e-shop.technion.ac.il for authorized budget manager.
Note: The service is annual, and a budget that is given for an initial purchase will also be required to renew the service unless stated otherwise.
Activate the virtual hosting service
Upon completion of administrative processes and receipt of approval for registration to the service from the secretariat of the Computing Division, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.